Organizational Overview of Dhaka Bank Limited
1.1 Overview of Dhaka Bank Limited
Bangladesh economy has been experiencing a rapid growth since the '90s. Industrial and agricultural development, international trade, inflow of expatriate Bangladeshi workers' remittance, local and foreign investments in construction, communication, power, food processing and service enterprises ushered in an era of economic activities. Urbanization and lifestyle changes concurrent with the economic development created a demand for banking products and services to support the new initiatives as well as to channelize consumer investments in a profitable manner. A group of highly acclaimed businessmen of the country grouped together to responded to this need and established Dhaka Bank Limited in the year 1995.
The Bank was incorporated as a public limited company under the Companies Act. 1994. The Bank started its commercial operation on July 05, 1995 with an authorized capital of Tk. 1,000 million and paid up capital of Tk. 100 million. The paid up capital of the Bank stood at Tk 1,547,402,300 as on December 31, 2007. The total equity (capital and reserves) of the Bank as on December 31, 2007 stood at Tk 3,125,688,713.The Bank has 41 branches and 1 Business Center including 2 Offshore Banking Units across the country and a wide network of correspondents all over the world. The Bank has plans to open more branches in the current fiscal year to expand the network.
The Bank has a total number of 50 branches and 1 Off Shore Banking Unit at DEPZ Savar Dhaka, 7 SME Service Centers, 1 Klosk (Business Center) and 1 Central Processing Centre as of March 2010. and plans to open more by the end of 2010 to expand its network.
The Bank offers the full range of banking and investment services for personal and corporate customers, backed by the latest technology and a team of highly motivated officers and staff. The Bank has launched Online Banking services (i-Banking), joined a countrywide shared ATM network and has introduced a co-branded credit card. A process is also underway to provide e-business facility to the bank's clientele through Online and Home banking solutions.
1.2 Organizational Overview of Dhaka Bank Limited, Uttara Branch
Dhaka Bank Limited Uttara Branch started on 31st Decenmber, 1999. The First Branch Manager Back the was Kazi Mamun-or Rashid. It was originally situated in Sector 4 of Uttara but later moved to a more strategic location in Sector 1 in Jashimuddin Road which was very visible to people entering Uttara and also it had a lot of potential customers surrounding that area. Any other information about history was unobtainable as all the employees has changed since then.
Dhaka Bank Ltd. is the preferred choice in banking for friendly and personalized services, cutting edge technology, tailored solutions for business needs, global reach in trade and commerce and high yield on investments.
1.3 Mission of the Dhaka Bank Limited
“To be the premier financial institution in the country providing high quality products and services backed by latest technology and a team of highly motivated personnel to deliver Excellence in Banking.”
Vision of the Dhaka Bank Limited
“At Dhaka Bank, we draw our inspiration from the distant stars. Our team is committed to assure a standard that makes every banking transaction a pleasurable experience. Our endeavor is to offer you razor sharp sparkle through accuracy, reliability, timely delivery, cutting edge technology, and tailored solution for business needs, global reach in trade and commerce and high yield on your investments.”
“Our people, products and processes are aligned to meet the demand of our discerning customers. Our goal is to achieve a distinction like the luminaries in the sky. Our prime objective is to deliver a quality that demonstrates a true reflection of our vision – Excellence in Banking.”
1.4 Values of the Dhaka Bank Limited:
• Customer Focus.
• Integrity and Honesty
• Respect for the Individual
• Responsible Citizenship
• Transparency and Accountability
• Environmentally Conscious
• High Morale
1.5 Visions for 2010
They expect higher groth of business in 2010. The growth will presumably generate from the diversified corporate sector, personal banking, money market operations, structured financing, Visa debit and pre paid card, ATM network and Export oriented initiatives. New innovative products like Capital Market, Bundled Savings Account, Refurbished Home Loan etc has been introduced to increase profitability.
Strategies Objectives of DBL:
• Their objectives are to conduct transparent and high quality business operation based on market mechanism within the legal and social framewaork.
• Their greatest concerns are to provide their customers continually efficient, innovative and high quality products with excellent delivery system.
• Their motto is to generate profit with qualitative business as a sustainable ever-growing organization and enhance fair returns to the shareholders
• Establish DBL as one of the top five successful Private Commercial Banks by 2010
• Be committed to the community as a corporate citizen and contribute towards the progress of the nation
• Build a strong deposit base
• Introduce new products & services and upgrade existing products & services at comparatively low cost in order to assure quick respond to the changing demands in the market
• Promote the well being of the employees and raise their morale
• Strengthen corporate identity and values
• Fullfillment of their responsibility to the government by paying taxes and abiding by other rules
• Bring the entire system under a very advanced IT platform
• Socialize and present the bank to the community as a corporate partner
• Encouraging and motivating the new entrepreneurs to establish industries and business in line with development of national economy.
• Enhancing savings tendency of the people by offering attractive and lucrative new savings scheme.
• Financing the foreign trade of the country both Export and Import.
• Enhancing the mobilization of savings both from urban and rural area.
The prime objective of DBL is to deliver a quality that demonstrates a true reflection of their vision-Excellence in Banking. Improve the quality of lone and services, and diversify the sources of revenue.
- Focus on Current, Savings & Short Term Deposit Accounts to reverse the ratio (26:74) with Fixed Deposit Receipt.
- Take immediate action required to reverse the rise of Cost of Fund.
- Increase fee based income: increase volume & fee of Letter of Credit & Guarantee, increase export and exchange earnings.
- Reduce operating cost by at least 20%.
1.6 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
Dhaka Bank is committed to their corporate responsibility toward the community. They allocate 2% of their tax profit for CSR practices each year. They have also taken numerous initiatives towards social welfare and community development. They also donated-
- Anti-Drug Campaign in Chittagong
- Donation to Prime Minister’s Relief Fund for bereaved family members of the Army Officers during the recent carnage at BDR Head Quarter, Peelkhana, Dhaka on March 10, 2009 of taka 25 Lac.
- Donaton to Prime Minister’s Relief Fund for bereaved family members of the Army Officers during the recent carnage at BDR Head Quarter, Peelkhana, Dhaka on April 1, 2009 of taka 9.60 Lac.
- Donation to BIRDEM Hospital in 2009 of taka 24 Lac.
- Donation to Center for Women &Child Health Hospital in 2009 of taka 24 Lac.
- Contribution to Bangladesh Tennis Federation (BTF) as sponsorship of 23rd Bangladesh International Junior Tennis Championships 2009 of taka 5 Lac.
- Financial assistance for Shahidbagh Jame Mosque, Dhaka of taka 50 Lac.
- Financial assistance for Kapasatia Jame Mosque, Hossainpur, Kishoreganj of taka 20 Lac.
- Donation to Bangladesh Hockey Federation for sponsorship of Jawharlal Nehru Cup Hockey Tournament of taka 10 Lac.
- Donation for the Aila Cyclone Victims of taka 10 Lac.
- Donate 2 unit of Ambulances to be used by the Highway Police of taka 48.86 Lac.
- Donation to the Players and Officials of National Hockey Team for winning 3rd AHP Cup Tournament held in Singapore of taka 2 Lac.
- Donation to Bangladesh Athletic Federation Sponsorship of 25th National Junior Athletic Championships 2009 of taka 8 Lac.
- Sponsorship of Air Ticket an international player to participate in International Chess Tournament to be held in Hungary of taka 0.80 Lac.
- Donation to Bangladesh Olympic Association for sponsorshipof BOA Sports Development Lottery 2009 of taka 10 Lac.
1.7 Corporate Information:
Name of the Company: Dhaka Bank Limited
Legal Form: A public limited company incorporated in Bangladesh on April 06, 1995 under the Companies Act 1994 and listed in Dhaka Stock Exchange Limited and Chittagong Stock Exchange Limited
Date of Commencement: July 05, 1995
Registered Office: Biman Bhaban (1st Floor) 100 Motijheel C/A, Dhaka – 1000, Bangladesh
Telephone: +880 2 9554514
Telefax: +880 2 9556584, 9571013, 9565011
SWIFT Code: DHBLBDDH
Web Page: www.dhakabankltd.com
Auditors: ACNABIN, Chartered Accountants
Tax Consultant: Howlader, Yunus & Co., Chartered Accountants
Managing Director: Khondker Fazle Rashid, From February 24, 2009
Company Secretary: Arham Masudul Huq