CSR Activities Reported by Private Commercial Banks (Part-6)
CSR REPORTING PRACTICE OF PCB’S IN BANGLADESH
4.1 CSR Activities Reported by Private Commercial Banks
AB BANK LIMITED
AB’s commitment to CSR is a journey, in the course of which it aims to align its business values, purpose and strategy with the social and economic needs of its stakeholders, whilst embedding responsible and ethical business policies and practices into all its endeavors.
- AB Bank limited assisted 20 blind students to participate in a specialized ICT training program. A contribution of Tk. 10.00 lac was made for phase-1 of the program. Upon successful Completion of phase-1, 8 visually impaired students were able to find gainful employment in various offices.
- The Bank contributed a further Tk. 12.41 lac in August 2009 to BODA towards providing Braille support for visually impaired students.
- AB Bank’s “Save the River” campaign appeared in national dailies in July 2009.
- Supported the awareness campaign of ADHUNIK- ‘Amra Dhumpan Nibaron Kori’ aimed at youths of the country.
- Supported an exhibition organized by SAARC Women’s Association, Dhaka to set up a life saving ventilator for the ICU unit at the Shishu Hospital.
- Contributed to Zonta International Club to raise funds for “Shishu Bikash Kendro” for 160 underprivileged children.
- Contributed Tk. 5 lac to ‘Chhayanat’, a cultural organization, to partly support the construction of an auditorium.
- Arranged to publish a supplement in one of the national newspaper commemorating “International Day of the Misuse of Drug and it’s Illegal Trade” organized by Home Ministry.
- Periodically participating in such national campaigns as “World Environment Day” organized by Ministry of Environment and Forests, “World Breastfeeding Week” organized by Bangladesh Breastfeeding Foundation, “National Fishery Week” organized by Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock etc.
- CSR activities also include contribution for the treatment of prominent cultural artists, donation for procurement of training room equipment for Dhaka Stock Exchange Training Academy, etc.
- Signed an agreement with Bangladesh Table Tennis Federation in April 2008 for arranging National Table Tennis Championship for four years and contribute an amount of Tk. 7.9 lac each year. Further agreement has been executed under which AB Bank to pay Tk. 15.13 lac per year for scouting new talents.
CSR is an integral part of the bank’s corporate culture and ethics. The bank responds positively in every sphere of social activities while delivering innovative solutions to its valued customers and helping different areas of social activities through its CSR activities.
- Donation to establish a Kidney Dialysis Unit in the AIBL Foundation.
- Published leaflet for Bangladesh Thalassaemia Hospital.
- Donation to Other Hospitals.
- Donation to Prime Minister’s Welfare Fund.
- Donated for Aila affected people.
- To reduce unemployment introduced Manpower Development and Employment Program.
- Established AIBL English Medium Madrasha, AIBL Library, donations to Universities.
Bank Asia always continues its efforts to look beyond short-term quantitative gains, and to concentrate on issues that make the institution socially responsible and have given all out efforts towards sustainable balanced growth. It considers socially responsible activities as an important part of its culture, identity and business practice. So, it contributes to improve the livelihood opportunities of the less fortunate, provision of facilities for education and health, protection of the environment, and encouragement of cultural and social activities in the rural as well as urban areas. Bank Asia contributes to the development efforts of the government and other recognized agencies including charitable, educational and healthcare institutions, throughout the country.
- Under Bank Asia’s “Higher Studies Scholarship” scheme, poor but meritorious students of rural areas where the bank has branches are awarded scholarships for their higher studies in several core subjects. The scholarships are given basing on the SSC and HSC exam results and the duration of the scholarship is generally 4 to 5 years. Under the program, students receive Tk.2,000 per month and a lump sum grant of Tk.10,000 is given annually to purchase books and for payment of tuition fees. This scheme was introduced in 2005, presently a grand total of 80 students are enjoying benefit of this scheme.
- Help poor students in rural areas by establishing and operating Computer Learning Centers (CLC) in different schools in providing a technological platform for students. Already 13 CLCs have been established in different rural schools and are in full operation. About 1,000 students have enrolled so far in these CLCs out of which 900 students have already obtained certificates. The bank is also going to setup another 15 CLCs from where more than 3,000 students are expected to receive education in computer technology every year.
- In the year 2005, Bank Asia started a program in collaboration with Bangladesh Eye Hospital (BEH) to help the underprivileged children by performing ophthalmologic operation of all born blind children of Bangladesh. So far, a total of 929 children have been operated. The bank arranges free Eye Camps in the rural areas where free treatments including spectacles are provided to a large number of school going poor boys and girls and other people of the localities concerned.
- The bank has donated an amount of Tk. 2.00 million to Islamia Eye Hospital (IEH) for the construction of a children ward at the hospital premises.
- Donated Tk. 1.5 million for purchasing an ambulance for a hospital run by Bir Shreshta Matiur Rahman Foundation.
- Financial support to Thengamara Mohila Sobuj Shangha for their hospital at Bogra, Centre for rehabilitation of the Paralyzed (CRP) and to Acid Survivors Foundation.
- The bank also arranges voluntary blood donation campaign on various national occasions where the officers of the bank and general people participated spontaneously.
- Credit lines are extended to different NGOs to support the initiatives for agricultural development and alleviation of poverty in the rural areas.
- Introduced ‘Palli Shawnirvor’ and ‘Kormoshangsthan Prokolpo’ under which microfinance is channeled to the target groups. So far, the bank has extended loans in these sectors amounting to Tk. 460.67 million up to September 30, 2008 through NGOs and rural branches.
BRAC BANK LIMITED
BRAC Bank, through its CSR activities, is trying to build better relationships with all stakeholders by paying closer attention to how to fulfill its social, economic, environmental and ethical responsibilities. CSR practice allows the bank to align its operations with standards and expectations that are increasingly important to its shareholders, employees, customers and communities where it operates.
- Donation made to extend BRAC Bank short Stay Ward at ICDDRB.
- Donated to Kidney Foundation Hospital.
- Sponsored Photography Exhibition & Publishing a Book for Thalessemia Awareness Program.
- Sponsored 3rd South Asia Regional Conference on Autism.
- Sponsored 10th Anniversary of Acid Survivors Foundation-International Conference of the survivors of Acid Violence.
- Sponsored SAARC Women’s Association Dhaka Chapter.
- Supplement sponsored 4th Convocation of BRAC University.
- Sponsored 2nd International Conference on Genocide, Truth & Justice.
- Sponsored 10th Daily Star O & A Level Performance Awards.
- Sponsored Junior Tennis initiatives to Bangladesh Tennis Federation.
- Sponsored Inter School Soccer Tournament.
- Donated to Bangladesh Wintering Water Fowl Census & Bird Festival.
I completed HSC from Dhaka Commerce College and BBA major in Accounting from ASA University Bangladesh. Presently I'm an articled student at ICAB.View all articles by Sazzadul Islam
Spread The Word
CSR Activities Reported by Private Commercial Banks (Part-6)